I have been obsessed with success and financial freedom right from when I was 10 years old even though the hustle had started way before then.
But to vividly recall, I remember this episode of me picking my bag and going along with the boys in the hood then to go search for condemned rubber slippers and aluminium pots and plates.
It was pretty awesome an experience.
Where you had to do the smartest job of thinking fast, focusing and in a twinkle of an eye be able to rove your eyes and scan every bit of environment you step into before the other boys snap it up from you.
Sincerely, it was fun…..
At the Mallam’s place where you weigh your stuffs before being paid, there was always this tension of how much your hustle for the day would be. Hahahaha!
Today, I sit back and I say “What an upbringing”.
The fact that I didn’t come from a wealthy background and didn’t have a great deal of direction on how wealth could be created, wasn’t enough to stop me.
And guess what? All the billionaires and millionaires you see today turns out to be like every one of us with these same backgrounds.
But they have a lot more money.
In a bid to find out about their success secrets, this is what I got.
You will be shocked that nothing about what they do is near anything magical or rare, but rather the steady application of wise investing strategies, hard work, and, believe it or not, a degree of frugality.
Here are the top 10 things they do to become millionaires and I suggest you should start doing it too if you really want to succeed.
- Be Economical – Spend more but less for luxuries until you know you’ve got so much to play around with. Simply delaying gratification will go a long way to help you.
- Be Conscious of Financial Success – Make it a priority. Lots of people say they want to be successful but let’s face it most don’t get there. Success seems to end up with those that are most committed to having it. I’ve made lots of success, especially with money by simply positioning my mind towards it and making it a priority, such that I approach it as my duty, obligation and responsibility.
I do it as though it is the reason I exist. Now don’t misinterpret it here. Lol
- Work Really Hard and Longer Than Everyone Else – Success goes to those who pay more attention to it. It’s just like a relationship. The closer or more time you spend with people you cherish, the more the love shared. Working hard is a disciplinary decision that scares a lot of people. You must be able to make work an ethical matter. Unfortunately, 99% of those who do not succeed in life today have this common habit. They hate work.
Now, this isn’t as same as working hard for a week and then sliding back. That means no work. You must be able to create a discipline to work really hard. Of course, it isn’t fun. But get it that success is not a journey for most people it is a marathon. Prepare every day to go the extra mile, make the extra call, have that extra meeting and you’ll soon be on your way to becoming a millionaire.
- Avoid Debts – Endeavour to pay cash for everything you’re able to afford a luxury. Anything that’s luxury that you can’t pay cash to let it go. There are assets you may have also considered as assets but in the immediate will never pay for that so-called asset. With such, don’t even dare. If you must enjoy luxuries, drive up your revenues. These days there are so many ways of generating incomes. Find a genuine one, start it and create the needed income to buy that luxury. I see lots of people start in business by first buying equipment and things that they think they need in order to run a business. What’s going to make your business work are customers and revenue, not printers, computers, and copiers.
One of my major mistakes in business was paying and renovating my new office. This took over N1.8m, I went ahead to buy office furnitures and equiptment/tools, I printed T-Shirts, Caps, hired over 15 people that took more than N500k monthly from my purse as salary.
I sit down today and laugh really hard at myself. What really happened.
I also didn’t stop at that.
I actually hired a Business Plan writer who I F**King paid N350k. That business plan has never been read by me till this day.
I paid over N200k to a chartered accountant to draw up my books.
I stopped using the books after I realized money wasn’t coming in anymore.
Lots of mistakes were made.
The only good part of this was that I never took any loan to do so.
So, even when you don’t have to take loans, and you have a lot of monies to spend, don’t do any of these things I did.
- Burn All Bridges & Boats That Will Aid An Escape – This is about eliminating all options. Probably the single thing that kept me going when it was most difficult was the fact that I knew this was it for me. I treated my Business Development, Marketing and Sales business like it was my only option and my only choice and what I was meant to do with no other options available to me. Yeah! In the early days, I was tempted to go back to the bank again. This would come your way, but try not to give in for it. I remember at one point when my girlfriend who is now my wife looked at me for a while and said to me – Tim, why don’t you go back to the bank, get some more monies before you come back again? Actually, I accepted but after a day or so, it dawned on me that I had taken a firm decision and I would go through the thick and thins just to get to where I am going.
Be ready to burn the options so that you don’t even have options while on the track and I bet, you’ll make the most of what you do have.
- Never Doubt Yourself For A Second – This is really tough but it’s got to be a conscious exercise you must always have. Just keep believing in yourself. For whatever decided to do, believe you can do It.
The doubts and insecurities will definitely come. But be conscious as always and don’t let that reassurance you give to yourself be let out of the windows.
Since I started my business, I have had several failures especially in bad decisions. Burnt my fingers beyond points that one would ordinarily say “Oh this is the end point. He is finished. But like play like jokes, I have bounced back and really hard. Thereby forgetting what had happened in the past. And this is because I’ve continued to tell myself that “I CAN DO IT.”
What has helped me the most is that, I have continued to discover ways of making monies without all the connections or whatever kind of influences you may think of.
Sales have been the secrets for me.
I have continued to go to read and attend some of the most expensive coaching schools for Business Development, Marketing and Sales.
I was going really broke and could not afford one million naira at a point. But I got one of my lands sold just to pay for a course with one of the greatest coaches today.
The ideas I got from attending that class, has since exploded one of my businesses.
You’ve got to believe in yourself, but also, increase your appetite for the skills required to succeed by reading and attending seminars.
- Always have a clear vision for success – Like the greatest advise I have ever received which came from Napoleon Hills in his book “Think and Grow Rich. Being rich or becoming successful isn’t enough to get you the needed success. As far as that is concerned, it is a wish and wishes never come through when success and money is at stake. You have got to be specific and clear enough for your inner mind mind to help you figure it out.
Start by first fixing in your mind the exact money you desire. Next is to determine the exact things you must give in return for the money. Furthermore, establish a definite date for the possession of that amount of money. Then go on to create a definite plan of actions to carry out your desire and begin at once to pursue it, whether you are ready or not. Write out a clear concise statement of the steps from 1 to 4 as provided above. And then lastly, place this statement somewhere close to you, such that you can read it at least twice a day. First in the morning as you wake up for prayers and the last thing before you close your eyes at night for sleep. That’s if you are the type with such a routine. If not, work around with it in your wallets or purse or bag. Whatever.
Also, ensure you are constantly writing and rewriting your goals as you move closer.
I went to visit a friend a few years ago. Right on his desk was this massive picture of a car. I was lost because I hadn’t seen that make of a car before. So, I asked why he had it on his desk. With a beam of smiles, he looked me up in the eyes and said, Tim, that’s a Range, and I want to buy it for my birthday.
My eyes shone even brighter on him, because, I knew the guy wouldn’t spend about N10m to buy a car when his business is just within N20m.
Well, that guy went on to just not buy the Range. He bought a muscle camry worth N3m for the wife.
Sounds funny right? The point here is that, you need to be as clear with your vision as possible. If it warrants drawing the picture of the money and placing it in front of you. Why not? Just be specific.
- Always Explore Multiple Impact Approach – In order to achieve anything, don’t ever rely on one means of getting that thing done. Explore multiple impact approach.
Always use multiple angles in order to accomplish any one thing.
Just like in sales, don’t rely on only Internet Marketing. Explore offline marketing as well.
Inside Internet Marketing. Don’t just rely on Email Marketing or Bloggin. Explore Social Media. In social media, don’t just rely on Facebook Marketing. Use Twitter, Use Instagram, Just explore as much as available.
- Dominate The Space – Most people want to compete. It is actually for the weak. If you can put that kind of time to work. Then think of dominating the space.
Today, I can confidently walk into any organization and seal a deal because I know I have the skills that is needed to do it.
In the sales niche of whatever type. I can walk into your business and change the fortune because I know I’ve got the skills.
And listen to this.
I’m not competing with anyone in this space, because I know what I’ve got and I have seen uncountable results.
It will take me only 30 minutes to have an interview with any business owner today to be able to figure out exactly the steps he or she needs to take to turn around the fortune of that business.
I’m saying this with all sense of actual capabilities.
So, today I look at the space and I’m like wow! I’ve really come far with it.
Don’t Compete. Whatever you love to do, then do it in a way that dominates that space.
Don’t be a player in the game, BE the game. Be in so many places and so involved that everywhere your competitors and your clients go they hear or see you.
I’m not talking about work here I’m talking about being everywhere in such a way that others can’t even imagine how to compete with you.
- Quit Thinking in Shortages – A million naira may seem like a lot of money to you but the reality is that when you stop thinking about shortages, that amount becomes like just a hundred naira. The truth is that, there is actually no shortage of money on this planet. Instead, there are shortages of people working really hard, thinking really smart, believing in their capabilities, burning their bridges and boats. A shortage of people with clear visions, clear commitments, massive passion, and taking more actions. Not a shortage of money.
And in case you need to know, a million naira is a lot of money but probably not enough to sustain retirement and will certainly not qualify you as rich.
For many, this is indeed a tough task to achieve. Becoming a millionaire has been erased from the hearts of so many people because it seem like a hard goal to attain.
The reason most people don’t ever reach it is because they’re lacking in one or more of the above things.
Success is never an easy thing to achieve, but it’s always a possible thing to achieve.
Avoid the get rich quick schemes.
Don’t chase the easy money.
Follow these 10 steps to becoming a millionaire, and in no time the next piece of advice you’ll seek is how to become a multi–millionaire.
Credits To My Coach – Grant Cardone.